Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bright Girls by Clare Chambers

Why haven't I read this book before? Yes, it was really good! It is super fun and super lighthearted! It's just great!
Genre: YA Contemporary
Pages: 350
Type: Standalone
Rating: 4-4.5/ 5 stars.
Synopsis: Outstanding new voice in girls' fiction. Fifteen-year-old Robyn (the "sensible") one and her older sister Rachel (anything but!) arrive in Brighton to spend the summer with their estranged Aunt Jackie, who runs a ballgown hire business from her ramshackle multi-storey home. They have been forced to leave their home in Oxford, where they live with their father, because of threats to their safety, the nature of which only gradually becomes apparent. 

This book was such a great summer read! It was just totally fun and and hilarious. It's got a spoon of mystery and lots of lightheartedness and just a whole jar of sisterly connection. The sister relationship plays a huge part of the story. The story is in Robyn's point of view and she's the sensible one but sometimes even she could get jealous of her older sister and her looks. She's always left to clean Rachel's mess. 
 
I really liked Robyn. She was just a normal girl with normal issues. She's nice and helpful and just an altogether really well developed character. Rachel had a 10 year old brain with an 18 year old body. In my opinion. I really didn't like her. Many times I was angry with her and I just wanted to snap at her. The end of the book has basically all the answers and I think they were pretty good answers. I really didn't expect any of it. It was a good ending. 
  I really don't know what else to say. There isn't much to say other than the fact that it was a good book and perfect for summer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment